The CyanogenMod Touchpad Team has just released a alpha version of CyaonogenMod 9 (CM9) for HP Touchpad. The Cyanogen Mod Team had earlier released a demo of the Android 4.0 on the HP Touchpad on youtube. Now you can install the Alpha release from the team and use it on your HP Touchpad. The release and download is posted at CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad RootzWiki Thread by Erik Hardesty. So if you want to stay updated you can follow him. You can also get help via CM9 Touchpad IRC channel.
You can flash the provided alpha ROM with CWM (ClockWorkMod) Recovery and start using the alpha release of CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0 on your HP Touchpad with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. According to Erick, you can make a tri-boot system with WebOS, CM7, and CM9 but it is highly recommended you choose one.
According to the release, the video, camera and microphone are aren’t working and the market doesn’t quit install all the apps from the market. Here is a brief rundown of what doesn’t work correctly on HP Touchpad CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0 for .
- Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos. Use something like MXPlayer and SW codecs for your local media.
- Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.
- Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.
- Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.
- Titanium Backup crashes the kernel. There’s an investigation in progress…There are reports that older versions do work.
- Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exist in this CM9 alpha build.
- Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS. If you choose to install GAPPS then you’ll need to get an updated compilation
- USB file transfers use MTP or PTP in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb. Traditional storage mounting is not supported in the Touchpad build.
The HP Touchpad CM9 Alpha 0 downloads:
New ACMEInstaller(do not use old installer with CM9):
Moboot(no update required, but recommended to those that haven’t installed before):
Alpha 0 CM9 ROM for HP Touchpad (CWM Flashable):
Charger and SystemUI force close fix for Alpha 0:
Flash with CWM after installing Alpha0:
We congratulate the Cyanogen Touchpad team for this update and all the HP Touchpad users as well who will be getting a Ice Cream Sandwich flavor on their Touchpads.